Thursday, February 12, 2009

It's Happening!

This morning, I started the Facebook group ("I Can Spare Change") and told my wife about how scared and nervous I was about it. I was sure that I would be laughed at. You see, all my life I have been accused of being too idealistic and too nice and too forgiving and this was all seen and valued as some kind of naivete. I was mocked because I believe that within every single person there is some good. I was called "weak" because I forgave people who hurt me. (Do you know how hard it is and strong you have to be to forgive)? Still, I believed, as I do right now, that we are all capable of good things.

I created the Facebook group and held my breath. In just one day, less than 24 hours and at the time of this posting, we have 36 members! Every little bit counts and every bit makes a difference.

There are two scenes that are driving me forward. One is from "Finding Nemo". Nemo gets caught in a fish net with a ton of other fish. They have the choice of being dragged up to the surface by the strength of the pulley where they will be gasping for air and fighting for life, or they can take the other path. Instead of giving up, Nemo tells them that if they work together, they'll be okay. "Just keep swimming!", he urges. And guess what? The fish win--they save one another.

The other scene is from "Horton Hears a Who". Horton's speck is about to be boiled and it's up to the people of Whoville to make enough noise to prove they exist. They make as much noise as they can, but it's only until every single Who in Whoville makes noise that again, they save each other in the process.

We're no different. If each one of us does something, we can help each other out.

If you joined our group today, thank you so much! Tell your friends and spread the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment